Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Now for Botox....

Well, after struggling with spasmodic dysphonia for 3 ½ years, I have no more alternative remedies to try ….. and I’m tired of this. So, I decided to take my (primary)doctor’s suggestion and go back to the UCLA ENT for Botox injections. I’ve been reluctant for a number of reasons, but at this point, I’m ready to try medical intervention.

Yesterday I had my first Botox injection. Rather, my first two injections, one on each side of my larynx. The two marks looked fitting for upcoming Halloween … like a vampire bite, but they’ve already faded. The doctor was very thorough, telling me of possible side effects. It will take some time to see if the dosage is right since he considered my voice disorder to be fairly severe on the scale of voice disorders.

So, I’m hopeful, as is my family. My throat/voice feels no different, but then it never did. It’s not until I try and speak that the condition becomes apparent.

As I’ve tried to teach my children, there’s always a lesson to be learned. This challenge has reinforced something that I’ve often shared with teachers, the importance of speaking directly to others (esp. children). Forget shouting room to room or across a room, the communication loses its value. Speaking face to face, within a short distance, is the most effective way to verbally communicate. Then, of course, a lesson that my husband is probably very happy that I’ve come to better understand….. no point in saying inconsequential things, save the talk for what’s important and at the right time, when there’s not competition from other sources (such as a basketball or baseball game that’s on television). 

I’ll keep you posted….


3 comments:

  1. I think you took the right choice, because for your affection botox did miracles.
    People think this is a wrinkles-only treatment, and I'm sure your choice will prove the contrary.

    I've recently heard about a Toronto botox clinic that had a very big request for botox treatments for bladders. This is another ugly affection that can be treated with this substance and the list doesn't stop here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we shall see.... I'm in the 'breathy/airy' voice stage right now, which is sort of strange,and I'm hoping that my voice actually reappears soon. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vocal Cord Nodules Natural Treatment for strained vocal harmonies relies on upon determination of hidden conditions. Herbs Solutions By Nature are offering Nedeton, an herbal supplement made out of natural ingredients that are gotten from genuine herb dealers.

    http://www.herbs-solutions-by-nature.com/Vocal-Cord-Nodules.php

    ReplyDelete