Thursday, December 15, 2011

Today my daughter, some other parents and I made a Chanukah presentation to my granddaughter's kindergarden class. Each of us had a station and 4 groups of children rotated from one station activity to another, in the classroom. I was excited to share my activity, but then, not surprisingly, the first question as each small group came to my table was "what happened to your voice?" I know that children will speak their mind, especially about what they directly observe,without filters. I expect that and welcome the teachable moment. It surprised me though, when one little boy asked "why did your voice die?" I said that it didn't die, it just changed. With that perspective of change and not permanence,I remain hopeful that the next Botox shots will have a longer effect on my voice. My voice is not gone, just different. I now have a new goal. I miss not reading aloud to children, due to this voice disorder. When my voice is at a good stage, I want to go back to that class and read them a story, a story about people with physical disabilities and differences...just trying to make a positive from a negative.

1 comment: