Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Phantom Voice

I recently had my third set of Botox injections, to help me cope with this voice disorder. Not much has changed except my attitude toward having the Botox. With a slight increase in the past few dosages, I find relief in communicating, just as it's probably a relief for those who hear me. 

The other day my mother-in-law, who has been a double amputee for a number of years, told us that her ankle had been hurting. Familiar with the phantom limb syndrome, I realized that I often wake up with, what I consider, a phantom voice. Not knowing if I'll be able to speak clearly without my voice spasming, I have the sensation that my voice is as clear as what it had been. Perhaps it's the hope that my voice will function properly again, though doctors have told me otherwise. 

As I work with children, I continue to be amazed at their resiliency.  They can have such capacity to overcome hurdles and compensate for shortcomings. When my voice is clear, the children respond as if it's always like this, easy to understand. When it's not, we laugh at 'my silly voice' yet they don't give up listening. It's the hope for the resiliency of our youth that we need to hold on to, for life is change. My current dilemma is whether I should speak as much as I can when the Botox gives me a clear voice, or use my voice sparingly to stretch out the time that it's in my system. A permanent change might not be on the horizon, but temporary relief is a blessing.

9 comments:

  1. I have had 17 Botox injections and each one is better and lasts longer than the previous. I am actually gonna post an update on my botox this week.

    I am glad the Botox is helping you.

    I used to work in a call center and used it a lot, now I am in a different role and don't use my voice as much as I have in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear about successful Botox treatments, thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Botox is not just to remove wrinkles on your forehead, but it is also an alternative treatment for voice disorders. It restores the voice and optimizes the functioning of the vocal cords. The most important thing, though, is to ask for your physician’s specific treatment plan for you to determine the best treatment for your disorder.

    Jacinto Hukle

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jacinto: Aside from removing fine lines and wrinkles, Botox has other benefits that most people don’t know about. Studies have shown that when Botox is injected in the forehead, it releases tension in the muscles, thus keeping you from suffering headaches.

    Terry Bayer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surgery is a really complicated procedure. Thus, if you want to be assured that you will get the result/s that you want, you have to consult with a surgeon who will listen to your desires and make those a reality. You may ask around for the most trustworthy surgeons in your area, or you can look them up in the Internet.

    Marc Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, the Botox injections are making a big difference. I'm not in favor of surgery(in general) unless its life threatening....too many risks. You're right about having confidence in the surgeon.

      Delete
  5. How is your Botox session going, Deborah? My sister had spasmodic dysphonia, and Botox helped her notably in getting though it. Her doctor said that the Botulinum toxin relaxes the muscles of the vocal cords, helping it soothe and heal.

    Dennis Rode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sister's doctor is right. It's made a big difference for me. My voice doesn't return to its original tone after Botox , but, more importantly, it doesn't spasm... The 'strangled voice' sound is alleviated, thus making it easier to do vocal exercises.

      Delete
  6. Hi Deborah,

    I also suffer from a voice disorder and was wondering what you have done since your last post. I have been taking calcium injections which are better than the Botox -longer time between injections. I'd love to do a guest post and or chat with you on what you have found in your search for a resolution.

    ReplyDelete